Saturday, July 8, 2023

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

This week, I decided to do something different.  I went to the YMCA to exercise.  We've had a membership for years, and there for a while I was going several times a week.  I could blame my hiatus on covid, but that's a lie, I just stopped going.  So, I decided that it was a multifunctional trip event.  First, it would get me out of the house (bleck), second it would put me around other people (eew, people) and third it would benefit my weight loss/healthy body journey (ok, that's a plus).

The first day, I just rode the recumbent bike for 30 minutes and watched people.  Not watched them in a creepy way, but watched them to see how they used machines, and their routines.  No one spoke to me, not even the front desk person, and I was fine with that.  I scurried back to my humble abode and fixed a delicious breakfast of avocado and egg (with nutritional yeast) on toast and some everything bagel seasoning.

The second day, I did 1000 meters on the rowing machine and then rode the recumbent bike for 40 minutes.  I'd only planned to do 30 minutes, but a grandfather from the kids' little league days recognized me and stopped to chat around my 25 minute mark and...time got away from me.  

The third day, my goal was to use the rower and then move to the bike again.  Unfortunately, someone was camped out on the rower, so I started with the bike and did 6 miles in 30 minutes.  Side note, my right hip/top thigh has been uncomfortable for a bit, as in, I can't sleep on that side.  When I moved to the rower, that same area was very uncomfortable, so after about 200 meters I realized I had to stop.  Not sure what that is about, but I'll research and try to figure it out and do some stretches or something.

The fourth day, I mixed it up a little by going to the Y in the evening.  It's a different crowd there later in the day.  I think I'll stick with the mornings, unless I get a wild notion to do two visits in one day.  I did the rowing machine first (1000 meters in 7 minutes), then 30 minutes on the bike.

Day five, was back to mornings and doing the rower before the bike.  This works best for me.

Day six, yes, I went to the gym on Saturday!  Very few people were at the gym, and those who were there were hardcore, and not just camping out on the machines, but moving through their routine.  I was able to get the rower first, then the bike.  My goal next week is to get to 2000 meters on the rower.

Overall, I was pleased with myself for getting up and going.  I'd like to say I enjoyed it, but days 1-3 were torturous...by the fourth day it was getting more natural feeling.  There was some additional stressors this week and I did some stress eating along the way.  I'd like to say I've gotten past that, but apparently not.  Although, on a positive note, I was binge eating zucchini brownies, so at least there was a vegetable involved.

Here's to health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

This week, I decided to do something different.  I went to the YMCA to exercise.  We've had a membership for years, and there for a whil...