Friday, April 7, 2023

Another Epiphany (Disguised as a Surprise)

I'm sure you've seen the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", right?  You know how, at the end of the movie, George Bailey realizes that he wasn't just a guy that gave up his dream for other people, but that he actually impacted the lives of other people for the greater good?

Well, on April 1 (the irony is not lost on me), my husband took me out to an early birthday breakfast, and then we went antique shopping.  We went to several antique malls, bought one small item and then headed home.  We have a big church right beside our home, and they were hosting an Easter Egg Hunt.  I commented to my husband that based on the amount of cars in their parking lot, it looked like they'd had an excellent turnout. 

I noticed a receipt floating around in the wind in the yard and grabbed it, and commented that somebody in the neighborhood sure ordered a lot of pizza (based on the receipt).  We came on in the house, and there, standing in my sunporch were roughly 30 of my closest family and friends, yelling "Surprise!"

My 17 year old daughter had spent the last 4 months planning a surprise birthday party for me.  I've never had a birthday party, ever, and it wasn't even on my radar screen.  She'd been getting my phone and copying everyone's phone numbers into her phone over time, texting and sneaking to get them all here.  There were friends from almost 3 hours away, that I've known for close to 30 years.  Her daughter was the first newborn I'd ever held, some 26 years prior...and there stood that girls beautiful 4 year old daughter.  My best friend, who was my maid of honor, and present at my oldest daughter's birth was there from 2 hours away.  My older brother, who has always been my closest companion and confidant was there.  My neighbor who has started going to church with me in the last 3 years and has changed her whole life around was there, beaming at me. A pagan family (yes, truly) who I know through my kids jiu-jitsu class was there.  They call us family because we walked along beside them through a health crisis that brought on a financial crisis. A local gal pal and her sons who've been through hell on earth and back was there despite all their social anxiety and aversions to crowds.  Even my in-laws were hanging out there in the back of the crowd.

The church did have a good turnout, but about 10 of those cars were people who parked there and walked to my house for the party.  The receipt floating in the yard, yeah that was the pizza delivery that had arrived at our house moments before we pulled in.  My daughter, knowing I'm on a journey to better health even ordered a salad for me, and bought a huge fruit salad so I wouldn't have to make poor food choices.  I did have cake and enjoyed every bite!

Honestly, this time in my life has been hard, because I feel like I don't have a "spot".  Homeschooling is wrapping up in about a month, the kids are basically grown and independent.  I left my career to raise a family 20 years ago, and just haven't felt like I've been "successful".  Then I looked around at the group of people that took their time to come spend the day with me, and my family who worked very hard to sneak around (NOTHING GETS BY ME, I'M STILL IN SHOCK).

For my youngest daughter to have put this much time, effort and money into such an endeavor, and pull it off exceptionally well really touched my momma heart.

So, I say all that to say, don't be weary in well doing.  Even when nobody sees but you, God knows the things you do for others.  But sometimes, he gives you a "George Bailey Moment" to let you see that it's not in vain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

This week, I decided to do something different.  I went to the YMCA to exercise.  We've had a membership for years, and there for a whil...