Friday, March 17, 2023

Feeding On the Wrong Things

I recently had an epiphany, or at least a light bulb moment.  My struggle with my weight started not too long after we moved here, almost 15 years ago.  At that time, my husband was working night shift, and sleeping through midday.  Our kids were 6 and 4, and I was homeschooling, taking them to all their activities (sports, dance, co-op) and taking care of everything else at home.  It was busy, very busy.

I remember distinctly having a conversation with my Mom early in that season of extreme busyness, when she asked me when did I spend time in the Word.  Now, I've been a Christian since I was 6, so I knew that "in the Word" meant reading my Bible, praying, worshipping and being actively involved with God.  I remember very vividly, the look of shock on her face when I said "Mom, I don't have time.  Sometimes I don't even have time to take a shower." 

I realized (epiphany), just recently, what I'd done was let my soul starve, which in turn created a void, that I apparently tried to fill with food.Honestly, I don't consume nearly as much food as my spouse or teens, but everything just seems to stick to me.  I've been perplexed for years as to why my weight has increased like it has. It got to the point of even going to the doctor to see if there was an issue with my thyroid or blood sugar levels; both of which are normal. 

As I'm in this new season of very little going on, I've reconnected with God in a more intentional way.  I'm spending a great deal of time reading, praying and listening to good, sound, Biblical teaching.  I'd love to say all the weight just melted off, but that's not the case. However, I am seeing steady results on the scale.  I'm not craving junk, I'm enjoying whole foods and I feel better physically.  More importantly, I'm more peaceful, and am once again excited about the things of God.

I encourage you to make time for God, and He'll help you get the rest done.  And you know, if it doesn't all get done, does it really matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

This week, I decided to do something different.  I went to the YMCA to exercise.  We've had a membership for years, and there for a whil...