Monday, March 6, 2023

Learning to Like New Things

In an endeavor to not get bored to tears with food, I'm trying some new things.  My thinking is that if I fix foods that have more layers of flavors, I'll enjoy the experience more, even when eating less.  So far, I've not had any horrible experiences.

I was SHOCKED to find that I actually like avocado toast.  The first time I tried it, I had one piece of sourdough bread left in the house, and was convinced that I was going to ruin it.  None the less, I mashed up the avocado, spread a tiny bit on a small corner and put some Everything Bagel seasoning on it.  I was really surprised when I didn't hate that first bite.  Truth be told,  by the time I was finished, I was a little disappointed that I didn't have another piece of bread to toast!

My brother gave me a couple of bags of dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans.  Why he had these is beyond me, but none the less they found their way to my pantry, so I decided to make hummus.  Mental note, make only half the bag next time.  My gosh, a bag of dried beans makes a huge amount of hummus.  I also realized that if I'm going to do stuff like that, I need a food processor.  I know the texture wasn't right, but my hand mixer tried its best.  

Ok ya'll, I'm a country girl.  I grow vegetables, and yet I somehow did not know that green bell peppers were just unripe red/yellow/orange bell peppers.  I loathe green peppers, but Aldi's had a 3 pack of red/yellow/orange and I thought I'd give them a try.  Again, I was really surprised to find that I don't hate the flavor of these peppers.  I cut the red one in strips and used it to dip in the hummus.  After 3 days, I realized my other peppers were going to get soft before I used them up.  I decided to roast the remaining peppers with an onion and had those for dinner, along with venison and potatoes.


I've been eating a lot of salads for lunch.  I'm trying to incorporate as many flavors and textures as I can on the plate so I don't get bored.  Here I have mixed greens, fresh pineapple, pecans and chia seeds; and of course a side of hummus and carrots.


Each of the photos is with the new little blue plate.  The pepper slices in the first photo give a good idea of how small the plate is.  The other photos look like there's a lot more food on the plate than there really is.

Have you ever expected to hate a food and find that you actually like it?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

This week, I decided to do something different.  I went to the YMCA to exercise.  We've had a membership for years, and there for a whil...